Monday, November 3, 2014

Halloween!

First of all I have to say that a few years ago I would have been horrified at my pathetic photography this Halloween. I never took a picture of Mattie at all (I think Matt has one on his phone I can grab, luckily). It wasn't quite my fault, but it's the general lack of effort that is kind of sad. Anyway, here is what I captured this season!

This was totally the highlight of our decorating. By "our" I really mean Matt and Zoe! Zoe had a page in her Ranger Rick magazine that showed an idea for some really spooky bottles. She couldn't wait for Matt to get home the day she got that magazine in the mail! "Daddydaddydaddydaddydaddy...." She got to pick her favorite bottles (scavenged from the city's recycle bin) and decide what spooky concoction would go inside. They got decorated and filled and then Matt put them on a light table so that everyone coming to our house at night could enjoy their scariness! 


Trunk or Treat was a big success in every way except photography. Our trunk, complete with various carved pumpkins, the spooky bottles and light table, two smoke machines, a strobe light (or two?) and a contraption that let kids try to eat eat donuts hanging on strings that moved around while they were trying to bite. We won "Most Creative" trunk and I didn't even try to take a bit of credit because all I did was show up (and bring a few supplies).

Pierce dressed as Tom Sawyer and looked super cute, but he decided to be a Ranger on Halloween because he said too many people asked what he was supposed to be.


Here are his friends Dallin and Bridger looking awesome at Trunk or Treat.


Mattie and her friend Abie dressed up as nerds, and this caused another funny thing - she asked me "Mom, do you have any nerdy shoes?" I didn't know how to answer that - what shoes are nerdy to a 13 year old? Then she said "Like those ones that were in the garage... Oh, you're wearing them." Sure, you can have my nerdy shoes to trick or treat in. Hopefully I will get a picture from Matt's phone to post, because she and Abie were super cute together. Then when they went trick or treating, they were at Abie's house, so I never got a picture of them.

On Actual Halloween, the kids first went trick or treating with our friends the Symes. Zoe, who had dressed up as a soccer ball for Trunk or Treat (no picture of that, naturally), decided to be a beautiful angel.


The wings were a bit of a trial to her but she soldiered through it.


Her friend Julia was a Chinese girl.


Bridger came too (he's the youngest of 5 brothers by a few years so he tends to come with us).


Here Pierce is in last year's Ranger costume, which is a pretty awesome cloak, if I do say so myself. I was glad he wore it again. (I need to find the picture I took last year, which was much better.)


(He took the tips off all the arrows that he brought. FYI. Good planning ahead, Pierce.)




Dallin decided to be a ranger too, which was his last year's costume as well. His mom had a different costume for him this year but I'm not sure he ever wore it. Pierce was super amused that Bridger's costume was really just his church clothes without a tie and with a wig and medallion.


Darrin was Spider Man, even though his mom had bought him a Captain America costume this year. Nice.


We went trick or treating pretty early, which was disappointing at first because not too many people were answering their doors. But we were hosting a soup potluck dinner (with all these same friends and a few more) and we thought we'd start getting candy early. I ended up leaving them with our friends and they trick or treated for quite a long time. Pierce weighed his candy in at 4 lbs. Then they ate some soup (maybe) and played in the back yard for a long time - Matt hooked up a big flood light to keep the kids happy outside (because he didn't want them inside) and they played until it started raining. It was a really fun night!










This picture I did for our friends the Petersons is too awesome not to share. Brother Peterson teaches Zoe guitar lessons and for a long time he wasn't charging us, so I'm always trying to see if there's anything we can do for them. He emailed and said that he and his wife were dressed up super cool for Halloween and could I take pictures of their costume. Then he mentioned that he liked the double exposure style with their dog, Snickers.


No comments:

Post a Comment