We had hoped to have time to snorkel at the beaches at Cozumel while we waited for the ferry. It didn't work out that way - the beach was NOT nice, with broken glass and dangerous sea urchins. In fact Rebecca was seriously hurt by stepping on a sea urchin and having spines break off in her foot, and evidently almost a week later still has black spots from its venom. Some other things happened on this beach that I can never speak of again... but it was pretty & the water was an amazing turquoise color, and the kids had fun looking at little hermit crabs.
The ferry ride was a whole new experience also - with some loud Latin music performances (earning some tips) upstairs, and freezing cold downstairs. The music was better than the cold! Anyway, we made it to Tulum with our guide, Helaman, who was so interesting and had some great things to say. This is one of the inner walls to the site (I have a picture of the taller outer wall but maybe didn't shrink it down to post). The priests lived inside the inner wall, and you can see some of their houses.
A watchtower in the distance, behind another priest's house. There are 4 watchtowers, and they each have a little tower (to the left here) where the rising/setting sun shines through at a specific date each year. So cool.
Here is the temple - Helaman had such interesting things to say, but I can't remember it all. Dad has a CD that he gave us which explains it all again (Dad, can you send me a copy when you have a chance?)
Some really interesting engravings, including the Descending God (Helaman identifies as Christ).
This is a closeup of a preserved painting - you can see it in the picture above. (My point & shoot camera has a good zoom!)
I love these family pictures that Helaman took.
The site was about to close, but we had just a few minutes to visit this absolutely beautiful beach.
We couldn't resist swimming for the last 10 minutes. :)
So fun, and so sandy!
Sunday was "relax on the cruise ship" day. (Too bad they didn't have church for us.) Zoe and Alice went to the kids club and they got the very cutest tiger faces I've ever seen! Zoe actually transformed into a wild little tiger with this face on.
While Pierce & I were looking for a spoon (for some of the always-available soft-serve ice cream) we discovered that the buffet had a dessert extravaganza! There was the normal stuff, then all sorts of cakes, candies, ice cream, and a chocolate fountain. We all went back for some great treats. I realized later that Zoe had eaten that day before dinner 1) frosted flakes 2) candy. Mmmmmm. (No wonder she was so wild!)
Mattie insists that her "giant breakfast" counted as her lunch as well, so it's not like she JUST had chocolate & candy for lunch (like Zoe & I did).
I loved spending time on Deck 3, instead of the top deck, which was crowded and noisy. Deck 3 was usually pretty deserted, so the kids could run around and play. Also we saw some great stuff in the water! We saw a pod of dolphins, jumping and playing. We saw a sea turtle (Pierce immediately identified it as a hawksbill turtle - I'm never sure how much credence I can give his quick IDs, but he does study marine life extensively, so I should probably just trust him). Matt saw flying fish way out in the open water, of which I was a little skeptical (just because I was surprised they would be so far out in the open ocean), but then we all saw lots of them the next day. No whales.
Off in the distance you can see a bit of Cuba.
Still wild! She ran back & forth, the length of Deck 3 - which is quite long - 4 times in a row. Fast!
When we got too cold in the shade (it was windy that day) we went up on a lesser-used top deck to sit in the sun. Zoe and Pierce played, ate hot dogs, and climbed around. Mattie & Ruby swam in the very small pool.
Here's how the hot dog turned out.
Then Pierce & I went around taking a few pictures of things we wanted to remember. He especially liked this waterslide.
We loved the towel animals our room steward left for us. This is a monkey.
The cabin was small, but not too small!
I probably have some more pictures I should post, but this is what's ready to go at the moment. It was an amazingly fun trip! We loved getting to spend time with family and see new places and try new things.
No comments:
Post a Comment