Saturday, March 5, 2011

Pierce's basketball team

This winter Pierce tried a new sport - basketball! We were really lucky - one of his good friends' mom and dad coached a team, and Pierce and pretty much all his best friends were on it.  They had really bad luck with practices - they kept getting cancelled for various reasons, and they had some tough games, but they had a lot of fun.  The last game day was a double-header, and the Sharks won both games!  (I think there were 3 teams named the Sharks in their division, pretty funny.)

Pierce really enjoyed it and he improved so much.  It was fun to watch (well, some of the games were more fun to watch than others...) and I think it was really good for learning teamwork as well.  Which should be great because now soccer has started. :)  A couple of the boys from his soccer team played with the Sharks.

I did some team pictures for them.  So cute.




Now the action pictures!  Pierce played hard - at first he had a hard time making sure he was shooting close enough to the basket to actually touch the rim :) - but he improved so much.  He scored a couple of times and was making some great shots all along.  He was fast and not at all intimidated by some really big opposing players.  And he was great at defense too!  We hope his coaches decide to do it again next year.


















2 comments:

  1. He looks so YOUNG to be playing that big sport. I wanna come to every game. What are you doing clear in Albuquerque??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good call on the black and white. I have been trying to shoot Ruby's season and it isn't easy to shoot basketball with any emotion. I should have captured the thrill on her face when she got the ball for the first time ever and made a gleeful, uncontested break for the other team's basket. She shot. Oh yes, she did. She missed. Thank goodness. Lol. Honestly, I think it might be a good strategy. With a few really good ball hogs on the team (understandably, I mean, if you really know what you are doing, are you going to pass to the girl who literally takes the ball from right below your basket to go shoot in the opponents basket on the other side of the court?), I think this might be her best bet of getting a shot in the hoop. Anyway, good shots!!

    ReplyDelete